Sugar-Free, Paleo & SCD Halloween Treats
"Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble."
Halloween is upon us; the holiday I used to love but now secretly dread for fear of the challenges it throws our way when it comes to diet. Any holiday is difficult when sugar and processed foods aren't in your vocabulary, but it's especially difficult when you have a mainstream holiday whose pure focus is on sugar, candy, processed junk and high power corporations banking on the profit.
These days, Halloween (and all holidays)look a little different for us and the concept of "baking for the holidays" has been taken to a whole new level. But when it comes to treats, it is nice to have a few go-to ideas in store. I'm often asked by my parents, teachers, friends and so forth, "What can Jonas have?" Well, the truth is, not much. But here are a few of our staples. I always like to have a few small non-food goodies on hand too, you never know when a treat is needed!
1. Wildway Granola - the ingredients are Paleo and SCD friendly on most of their products.
2. Savannah Bee Company honey straws - great for hot tea or almond milk steamers when we're traveling.
3. A silly funny face from Land of Nod.
4. Bare apple chips - simple yet perfect.
5. Halloween tattoos - always a favorite!
6. We couldn't live with our Larabars! The seasonal ones are our favorite.
7. Glow in the dark skeleton and mummy wind up toys from Oriental Trading.
8. Desktop basketball.
9. Stretch Island fruit strips, again, another huge staple for us.
10. CB's Pumpkin seeds, a perfect treat for autumn.
*If you are following SCD or Paleo for IBD please keep in mind that nuts and seeds are an advanced food.
*Larabras, the Apple Crisps and Pumpkin seeds are not in compliance with the SCD since the companies have not confirmed the ingredients and use of additives.