Sautéed Broccoli with Peas & Pine Nuts
This recipe was created for Earth Fare.
We’ve all heard about the extensive list of superfoods that include blueberries, kale, chia seeds, salmon, pumpkin, yogurt, green tea, broccoli and many, many more. The superfoods are known by their significant source of beneficial nutrients they deliver to the body. They contain high levels of vitamins, minerals and anti-antioxidants that can help prevent disease and improve cell function.
Broccoli totes a lengthy list of benefits. This vibrant, green vegetable is full of phytochemicals which contain anti-cancer properties. It is rich in fiber, which aides in digestion, and high in vitamin C to help boost the immune system. And because it is high in fiber, chromium and potassium broccoli can help lower cholesterol and high blood pressure.
This dish combines texture with full flavor to deliver an easy side dish that can quickly be prepared. The olive oil and lemon create a subtle zest that pairs perfectly with the broccoli. Want to make it a meal? You can easily top this hearty side-dish with grilled chicken or salmon to make a complete entree.
Sautéed Broccoli with Peas, Pine Nuts and an Olive Oil Lemon Sauce
SCD, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free
Yield: 6 servings
1 bunch broccoli
½ onion, thinly sliced
1 cup peas
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp garlic (I omit this because I'm allergic)
2 tsp oregano
2 Tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper
¼ cup shaved parmesan
Fun serving bowls
1.Start by par cooking the broccoli. To do this, place broccoli in boiling water and cook until slightly soft, about two minutes. Quickly remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced onion and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
3. Add the garlic, oregano and then broccoli and continue to cook for two more minutes.
4. Add the peas and lemon juice, toss to combine. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.
5. Pour one tablespoon olive oil into the hot pan and add the pine nuts. Stir constantly for one to two minutes until the nuts begin to darken. Remove from heat immediately and add to the bowl.
6. Toss the ingredients together and top with ¼ cup shaved parmesan.