Image by Mallory + Justin Photography
"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."
The Weekly Roundup is a well-curated selection of insightful articles related to health, clean-eating, the gut microbiome, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, a Paleo lifestyle, simple living, positive parenting and delicious recipes.
1. Vitamin D is essential to our health, but studies show that it may prevent Crohn's disease and UC from flaring up. Eating these foods can help you get your daily dose of Vitamin D.
2. 6 Critical Nutrients to Prevent Autoimmune Disease. Turns out Jonas was deficient in Vitamin D, Magnesium and the B Vitamins. Once we figured that out and started supplements and changing our diet to include these vitamins and minerals, we saw a drastic improvement in his health.
3. Functional Medicine played a KEY role in our path to finding health for Jonas. Rather than looking at the disease and treating the symptoms, they treat the underlying causes of inflammation. This article by Dr. Hyman explains this concept further and lays out 9 steps to heal your autoimmune disease.
4. 10 properties of bananas which you probably didn't know about. FYI: on the SCD diet you can only eat ripe to very ripe bananas. Unripe bananas contain too much starch. Plantains and mini-bananas are also illegal due to starch content.
5. UNC cancer researchers find potential treatment for inflammatory bowel diseases. More proof on the importance of a healthy gut microbiome (microbiome refers to the bacteria makeup in the gut.)
Happy reading and cheers to a healthy, active weekend!