The Weekly Roundup | IBD News, Clean Eating, Simple Living
"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease."
The Weekly Roundup is a well-curated selection of insightful articles related to health, clean-eating, the gut microbiome, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, a Paleo lifestyle, simple living, positive parenting and delicious recipes.
I've been working on so many posts to share, but honestly, there just isn't enough time in a day! In addition to everything else I take on, I'm in charge of the school yearbook. I submit the final revision on Monday and I may just have to go out to celebrate. To say this task is an immense project is an understatement. When I officially hit the "submit" button a huge weight will be lifted from my shoulders and I'll have some spare time on my hands. I'll cheers to that!
1. New research at Seattle Children’s Hospital demonstrates that the Specific Carbohydrate Diet can induce clinical remission in ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. I know I keep talking about this study, but this is a HUGE breakthrough and hopefully this study will open many doors.
2. Parents claim children who took MiraLAX developed 'neuropsychiatric problems." I have now read several articles linking consistent MiraLAX usage in children to behavioral and neuropsychiatric complications. Jonas was on a daily dose of MiraLAX for months even though multiple doctors assured us that prolonged usage was harmless. I was never comfortable with him taking it daily and swapped it out for a healthier option.
3. How Giving Up Refined Sugar Changed My Brain. This August marks two consecutive years for us with no refined sugar. I honestly believe that refined sugar is a trigger food for Jonas' Crohn's disease. And for me, I feel sluggish, foggy and lethargic when sugar creeps into my diet. I try to avoid it at all costs.
4. Why Social Media is Not Smart for Middle School Kids. This is a must read!
5. 5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You. HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is probably number one on my list of foods that we never EVER eat. Before going on the SCD diet it was banned from our household.
Happy reading and cheers to a healthy, active weekend!